A CL recipe i’ve had on my to-do list for eons! Seriously!
My main concern was not having the Black Bean Paste, i had only every found Garlic and Black Bean sauce… Alas, that was going to have to do and i think it worked out just fine!
- 1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained
- 2 teaspoons macadamia nut oil (just cause i didn’t have grapeseed, use whatever!)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 dried hot red chiles
- 2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean paste
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Cut each block of tofu in half lengthwise. Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 30 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
- If using eggplant, peel and cut into cubes (salt and sit etc if desired) Pan fry
- Pan fry tofu – hubby doesn’t like squishy, so i get as much surface crunch prior to starting the recipe
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and chiles; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add bell pepper, and cook 3 minutes or until tender (i don’t like crunchy peppers, so it was more like 10… maybe next time do the peppers first), stirring frequently. Stir in sherry; cook 3 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently. Stir in tofu; cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce, bean paste, and sesame oil, stirring gently to combine.
Verdict – very easy, very delicious and very quick!! Sad that i waited so long to try this one!