Adapted this recipe from bon apetit!
It called for cod, I had tilapia, I upped the spice and the result was very good.
Next time i’ll put on less sauce and let it caramelize on the fish! I cooked up some black rice – forbidden rice!
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce*
- 2 1/4 teaspoons hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tilapia fillets
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in small bowl. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring ginger sauce to room temperature before serving.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Stir hoisin and chili paste in another small bowl. Heat oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add cod, skin side up. Cook 2 minutes, then turn cod over. Spoon hoisin mixture over fillets, dividing equally.
- Transfer to oven and bake until fish is just opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Place 1 fillet in each of 2 shallow soup bowls. Spoon ginger sauce around fish and serve with steamed rice.