I’ve been holding this recipe for a while now. I just never seemed to have the right ingredients, and i wasn’t sure i could get the whole idea of a veggie past the hubby! He like the spinach lentil cakes because there is nothing that distinguishes a vegetable any more!
2 zucchini, halved lengthwise
salt and pepper
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup skim milk
1/2 small onion
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
2 teaspoons dry each finely chopped parsley and mint
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees . Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Scrape out the seeds from the zucchini with a spoon. Shred the zucchini in a food processor. In a strainer or colander, salt the zucchini and let drain for a few minutes. Press out any excess liquid.
- Shred the onion in the food processor (you can use the same bowl) – set it aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and baking powder. Combine the milk and egg.
- Make a well in the center and add the milk and egg. Add milk and egg. Stir in the zucchini. Stir in the onion. Grate in the garlic (or use a garlic press). Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese and herbs.
- In a large skillet (or on a stove top griddle), spray with pam. Drop 3-inch cakes of batter into the pan in batches. Cook, flipping once, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Keep warm in the oven.
Note: Take care, these babies cook up fast!
Mine definitely did not look like RR, mine were more like pancakes and i used 3 small zucchinis.
The taste with the mint was slightly strange and i’m not so sure i’m in love with it. Maybe leave out hte mint and add lemon next time… Either way a not so bad way to get your veggies in, only 1 cup of flour among 16 resulting pancakes.