So, life has definitely been more interesting and exciting since the oven broke.
IT has also lead me to create an un-necessary challenge of seeing what different kinds of things i can cook in the crockpot!
I checked out my favorite site – the Crockpot Lady and saw she had done her gluten free banana bread in the crockpot. I wanted to make mini breads for my mail carrier and ups delivery fella and figured this would be awesome!
I have many banana bread recipes, but decided to head to the original Better Homes and Gardens – New Cook Book. I’ve had my small bookcase version since i moved out, and i turn to it for the old stand bys!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 medium)
- 1/3 cup margaine
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- In a large mixer bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add mashed banana, margarine and milk. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till blended, then on high speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and remaining flour; beat until blended.
- Pour batter into a greased 8X4X2 pan.
- Place pan into a crock pot headed on high during the batter mixing.
- Prop your lid open just a tad to let some steam out. I used a chopstick.
- Cook on high for 4 hours,or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Carefully! remove the hot pan from the stoneware and let cool.
I had to use 2 mini muffin pans which fit great in my 6 quart crockpot – i did over fill, so don’t do that!
I love the idea of being able to cook break outside of the oven, using a timer, and being able to do something like this in the summer and not making your house any hotter than it needs to be!