My neighbor – well my old neighbor – used to drop all her old magazines on me and it was like heaven! Her latest round was all of her old Bon Apetit! Gotta love those yummy looking pictures! Some not so health conscious, but hey, desert isn’t meant to be!!
I found this one – Smoked Gouda and Chipotle Grits. I can’t get the on line version to load correctly, but i did find another gal that put it on her page!
As usual, i didn’t like the full recipe and i certainly didn’t have any milk in the house nor 2 cups of shredded gouda. Who has that?
So this is what i ended up making, using my grit cakes recipe as a guide!
- 1 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, unsalted
- 3/4 cup canned corn kernels
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup 2% milk (powdered is what i had)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cups cups quick-cooking white hominy grits
- Gouda cheese (about 4ounces) – chopped
- 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo (or jalapenos) – chopped
- Melt butter in large heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Add corn and onion. Saute until onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add water, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Gradually add grits, whisking until mixture is smooth and returns to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until grits are thick and tender, whisking often, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in cheese and chipotle chile. Stir until cheese melts. Transfer grits to a shallow bowl. serve.
All in all, it was less than amazing, especially with all that cheese, for that many calories i expected angels to sing… Alas the kick was nice, but honestly i could have done that without the cheese, maybe 1/4 cup of a nice sharp cheddar?
I served it with Hoisin Chicken – nice combo there folks! (hmmm… seems i never put this recipe on the blog, look for it next….)