This is one of those recipes that i had printed out – looking as hubby calls it – like a crazy harry potter spell book – in my recipe book.
I looked at the printed date and it was from 2011 – so i guess i’ve been meaning to get to this one for a while!
- 1/2 cup Bisquick Heart Smart Mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (called for 3/4 – i had mine frozen in 1 cup packages)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg (called for 1 egg white – ooops)
- 3/4 pound ground turkey (called for 1/2 lb – i freeze mine in 3/4 lb packages)
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce (i used rotel spicy – didn’t seem to matter)
- 1/4 ketchup (not sure this was really needed)
- taco seasoning (we added this to the meat)
- jalapenos for garnish and just cause!
Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together Bisquick, 1/2 cup of cheese, water and egg, set aside. (we added some hot salsa to this and the meat to kick it up)
In ovenproof 8 inch skillet (this is important – it needs to be 8 inches, or you don’t have a big enough biscuit stuff on top), cook turkey over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup and sat. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.
Pour Bisquick mixture over top. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
All in all, it was just ok. Definitely changed it up to be what we thought it should be which was more of a taco pie vs a sloppy joe.. And we always like to have some sort of kick and we failed there. Not sure it’s worth trying again – too many other yummies in the world to cook up!