Found this ditty in Fitness magazine (june 2011) and decided to give it a try – see if it was better than Spicy Flank For our level of tastiness i did double the recipe. Should have tripled and had some for dipping!
Alas it was tasty but not as amazing or worth substituting for our favorite!
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 3/4 pounds lean flank steak patted dry (cut across the grain for maximum marinade coverage!)
1. Using the flat side of a knife or a mortar and pestle, mash together the garlic and pinch of salt until the mixture forms a paste; transfer to a small bowl. Mix in the honey, lemon juice and soy sauce; slowly whisk in 1 teaspoon oil.
2. Place the steak in a shallow dish or bowl. Pour the marinade over steak and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. (we marinated overnight, then poured it all into a food saver bag and froze it cause we ran out of days to cook it! – defrosted great, ready to go, already marinated!)
3. Heat the grill to high. Remove steak from marinade and season lightly with salt and black pepper. Transfer to grill; close the cover and cook to desired doneness, about 7 minutes a side for medium rare. Let meat rest on a cutting board 5 minutes. (we did 10 minutes just to be safe and get some extra char!)