I totally feel like i’m cheating by finding another recipe to try, but i did and i gotta say it was worth it!
I saw it – Spiced coconut lentil soup – and totally had to try it!
I adapted it a smidge by uping the heat (and don’t own vegan bullion grains… so went with the non-veggie version – sorry), but other than that kept it the same.
1/2 large red onion chopped
2 dried red chilis
1 tsp ground bottles ginger
1 tsp bottled garlic
1 cup red lentils
1 400g can coconut milk
3 cups water
1 scant tsp beef bouillon
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
black pepper and red pepper flakes
juice of 1 lime
1 heaped tsp spicy olive oil
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add the onion, season, cover and allow to soften for several minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic and red pepper to pan, cover and cook for a few more minutes until the flavors begin to infuse
- Rinse and sort the red lentils and add to pan along with the ground coriander, paprika and cumin. Mix thoroughly and then pour in the coconut milk and water. Sprinkle in the bouillon and lightly season with some sea or kosher salt,freshly ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cover, bring to the boil and then lower to a gentle simmer for forty minutes, ensuring to stir frequently.
- Juice the lime and set aside.
- When the lentils have softened and almost disintegrated to form a thick, creamy soup, take off the heat, pour in the lime juice, taste for seasoning and serve with fresh avocado
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 10.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 201.6 mg
Total Carbs: 20.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.5 g
Protein: 7.9 g