Years ago i was given a book: 101 Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies. It became my mission to try and make each and every recipe in the book.
Recently i decided to revisit my mission and I made this recipe:
Chocolate Chip Almond Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup butter – softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, not packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon amaretto
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 8 ounces milk chocolate grated
- 12 ounces (2 cups) chocolate chips
- 3 cups chopped almonds
- 6 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 egg whites, beaten slightly
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar; set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Blend in the oil, egg, vanilla and amaretto. Gradually add the dry ingredients, along with the rolled oats, until the mixture is well blended. Gently stir in the grated chocolate and the the chocolate chips. Chill until firm
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Mix together the chopped almonds and confectioners’ sugar. Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Dip the balls into the beaten egg whites, then roll them in the almond-sugar mixture. Place on lightly greased baking sheets, spacing well apart. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before removing to cooling racks.
This makes a TON of cookies!
I might try this with a little less oil next time. As i rolled each of the 120-150 balls, i got a lovely oil treatment on my hands!
The almond coating really adds some yumminess – i didn’t have enough for all the cookies and the last ones were not as good!