I had a left over pie crust that had just been bouncing around my freezer for a year and decided today was the day to do something about it. So i searched CL for something that would work…
I found Double-Chocolate Cream Pie
It seemed like just the thing – although i new have stack of others that look amazing too – but needed to set overnight and hubby’s cheat day is Saturday.
This recipe is really easy and i think pretty adabtable – exchange the chocolate or peppermint, exchange the vanilla for almond or maybe something alcoholic…
Double-Chocolate Cream Pie
If you don’t have a crust, check out the link for making the one that this one calls for.
If you have a crust, prepare it as indicated on the instructions.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat free milk (recipe called for 1%)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated (i skipped the grating, used chips it all melted great)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- To prepare filling, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and milk in a medium saucepan; stir well with a whisk. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute until mixture comes to a full boil. Gradually add 1/3 cup hot milk mixture to beaten egg; stir well. Return egg mixture to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add grated chocolate, stirring until the chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Spoon mixture into pastry crust. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap. Chill until set (about 2 hours). Remove plastic wrap; spread whipped topping evenly over filling.