Still working on making dal and lentil cakes to support the hubby on the 4HB.
Tonight was had our Tofu with Finger Lickin’ Peanut Sauce and needed something to put it “on” – since we had no rice and no lentil cakes…
So i found Duguid’s Everyday Dal on cooking light and adapted to be mine!
- 1 cups split hulled mung dal
- 1/4 cup red dal
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried small hot red chiles, stemmed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup mini carrot (frozen)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (frozen)
1. Soak mung and red dal for 2 hours (or more)
2. Combine dal and 6 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in turmeric, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick; partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds; cook 1 minute or until seeds pop, stirring constantly. Add ginger and next 3 ingredients (through chiles); cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add onions; cook 3 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring frequently. Add carrot and cauliflower; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Add 1 cup dal mixture to carrot mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Place carrot mixture in food processor. Process till smooth. Continue to add Dal with or without the water to consistency desired.