I needed to find a gluten free vegetarian appetizer that i could make with what I had in the house… arg…
But then I came across this recipe and with some modifications made an amazing yummy dip!!!
The recipe calls for roasting the eggplant, I had already cubed and fried mine up for something else, so i used it in that fashion.
Grilled Eggplant and Yogurt Dip
- 1 eggplants
- 1 medium minced fresh onion, divided
- 3 minced garlic cloves, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (or parsley)
1. Prepare Eggplant: peel eggplant, slice in 1/4 – 1/2 inch slices. Place on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30-60 minutes. Flip over, sprinkle with salt again and let sit for another 30-60 minutes. Pat dry and wipe off the salt. Cut each slice in little cubes.
2. Spray frying pan with non stick spray. “Fry” the eggplant till it has a char, spraying and stirring as needed. Set aside to cool or cool over night.
3. Spray frying pan with non-stick spray. Add 2/3 of the diced onion and garlic to the pan. Stir the onion and garlic till complete.
4. Meanwhile, mix the remaining onion and garlic with the yogurt; then season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
5. Once the eggplant, onion and garlic is cool a bit, mix with the yogurt dressing. Chill if time allows, or just serve at room temperature; garnish with mint or parsley.
It had a great flavor and made a ton!! Yummy as a sandwich filler!