Found this recipe in a cooking light (might have been an email) – it was listed as vegetarian and called for meatless sausage – but i had ground turkey on hand, so i changed the recipe to be meat. I also forgot to get mozzarella so i used a 4 cheese Mexican mixture – and it was yummy!
It was much yummier than i could have ever imagined!
6 servings (serving size: 1 piece)
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided (Napa Valley Bistro – homemade marinara – found at Cost Plus)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup meatless fat-free sausage, crumbled (such as Lightlife Gimme Lean) (3/4 cup ground turkey)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) tube of polenta, cut into 18 slices
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese 1/2 cup mexican
Preheat oven to 350°.
Spoon 1/2 cup marinara sauce into an 8-inch square baking dish to cover bottom, and set aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in sausage; cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently. Add remaining marinara sauce; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Arrange 9 polenta slices over marinara in baking dish, and top evenly with half of vegetable mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over vegetable mixture; arrange remaining polenta over cheese. Top polenta with the remaining vegetable mixture, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.