5 Steps to a happy marriage!
I found this a couple Sunday’s ago in either Parade or the other magazine in the Sunday Paper! I thought it was a really great article and hope to practice it more!
- Communicate your goals
- Spell out your short and long-term goals. Then share them with your spouse. Be prepared to listen to what they want for the two of you too! –we filled out a book of questions prior to the wedding that we need to re-visit, but this is something we need to sit down and do!
- Learn to ‘LIKE’ your mate
- Loving is a gift. Liking is pragmatic. Tell your spouse something that you like about him or her every day. Be specific! – I like this one a lot. I’ve been trying to do most every day. Some times via email, some times while walking to work. It’s fun!
- Pull out a happy face – keep a picture of the two of you at your happiest and look at whenever you’re annoyed with one another! — this was particularly poignant at the moment since we had had a “moment” the day prior!
- Make peace, not war – every couple disagrees sometimes. Come to the negotiating table. Compromose. Don’t try to solve problems when you are angry. Cool down and remember why you married this person. Choos the same day each week to sit down and talk can take tension out of disagreements. Before you speak ask yourself, if I were to hear what I’m about to say, how would I respond? – that’s a toughy!
- Go On Dates – real dates – this is another something we need to make an effort at. We get comfortable. We “eat out”. But we don’t go on dates!